Cavities are small holes in the teeth caused by decay. Tooth decay occurs when plaque — the buildup of bacteria and food — collects on the teeth and is not removed. The good news is, there are many simple ways to prevent cavities and even prevent tooth decay from occurring in the first place.
Where Does Plaque Build Up?
Plaque builds up more easily in places such as:
- - Spaces between the teeth
- - Grooves, pits and cracks in the teeth
- - Close to the gum line
- - Around fillings
If plaque accumulates in these areas for extended periods, it can cause decay that reaches the inner layer of the tooth, known as the dentin. Once this happens, cavities are almost certain to develop.
5 Tips to Prevent Cavities
It is possible to prevent cavities when decay has not yet reached the dentin. To prevent tooth decay, be sure to:
- - Each fiber-rich foods: Foods rich in fiber stimulate the flow of saliva, a natural defense against cavities. Opt for crisp vegetables and fruits such as celery, apples and carrots.
- - Consume hard cheese: The phosphates, calcium and vitamin D in cheese are essential minerals for the health of your teeth. The calcium in cheese combines with plaque and sticks to the teeth, protecting them from decay-causing acids.
- - Chew sugar-free gum: Chewing sugar-free gum after snacks and meals can help protect tooth enamel by rinsing harmful acid off your teeth.
- - Ask about antibacterial treatments: Your dentist may recommend antibacterial treatments or mouth rinses to help cut down on harmful bacteria in your mouth.
- - Consider fluoride treatments: Fluoride is a natural mineral known for preventing cavities and building healthy teeth.
Hydrogen Peroxide as a Way to Prevent Cavities
Hydrogen peroxide can remove bacteria and biofilm, both of which can lead to cavities and oral health issues if left to build up on teeth. In 2013, the founder of EverSmile took advantage of this technology to help his aligner patients achieve healthy teeth and fresh breath during their aligner treatment.
Dr. Florman created an advanced anionic hydrogen peroxide technology that allows those with aligners, retainers, implants and dentures to clean bacteria and whiten their teeth. Anionic hydrogen peroxide technology solutions from EverSmile help remove bacteria and biofilm from your teeth — even if you're on-the-go. Our cleaning and whitening products contain no harsh chemicals, meaning they will work their magic even while you wear them!
Let EverSmile Help You Remove Bacteria and Biofilm
At EverSmile, we want you to look and feel your best by helping you remove the buildup of bacteria on your teeth that may lead to cavities. Keeping your teeth clean is especially important if you wear aligners, retainers, braces, dentures, implants or bridges. That's why we offer wearable cleaning products for mouthpieces — that double as whitening solutions — that you can keep with you on-the-go.
Designed to fit in your pocket, cleaning products from EverSmile equip you to keep your dentures, aligners, retainers, bridges, implants or dentures hygienic and fresh all day long. Shop our products today and fight the buildup of bacteria and biofilm that causes cavities. Or, contact our team with any questions and we'll be more than happy to help!